Friday, August 20, 2010

Dairy Judging

According to my non-agricultural minded friend Kimbell, judging teams are where there are judges judging your judging ... and in a way she's right.

This school year I will be competing on the Kansas State University Dairy Judging Team. The cows I will be judging will be giving milk, some 20 lbs. a day (OR MORE).

We judge classes of 4 cows or heifers at a time, and then give oral reasons to an official (aka another judge) who then in turn gives us a score out of 50 points. Your original placings of the cows/heifers are judged against an "official placing" and given a score out of 50.

The point is to get you to choose exemplary livestock and then justify your placings with these aforementioned reasons. I'm sorry if this is confusing.

I judged livestock and meats in high school, but never dairy. I decided that I wanted judging to be a part of my K-State experience and dairy just kind of worked with my schedule. So here I am, embarking on the world of dairy cows.

Tomorrow I begin at 5:30am, now I just need to put phrases like "foreudder" "teat placement" and "defined vertebrae" into my vocabulary. Wish me luck!

Here's a link from the University of Georgia, that shows how I will use these terms in a set of oral reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment