Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What we do




as i stated in my first blog, i am proudly 1/2 of RJ Show Cattle. R being myself and J being Joey, my younger (little) brother.

we began showing cattle almost 9 years ago, when joe was finally old enough to show in 4-H. since then we've had a variety of animals beginning with my first 2 steers, Cosmo and Zeus and still continues with our (extremely) small but mighty cow herd of 5 and joe's show calves.

showing is important to me, because it's what my mom and her siblings did. not only has it brought me closer to my family, it has taught me why being an agriculturalist is important. by standing up for what is positive animal agriculture. i've learned why we raise our animals humanely and what a nutritious product we're giving to the consumer. for these reasons, i've gotten involved in various groups at k-state like collegiate cattlewomen, more to come (more promises, i know).

for those of you that actually care about our show string ... this year our show barn is a little more packed than normal...we've got one simmental steer named Hustla, one market heifer named Karebear (which has to be said in baby talk), and an august shorthorn plus heifer named Pokey. PLUS a shorthorn plus cow (the family pet) named Karen and her baby Tide (yes like the laundry detergent), and a feeder steer out of my old show heifer Peaches (who has turned into a badass cow), affectionately named Rolex.

recently we took 3 animals up to the Shorthorn Junior National Show in East Lansing, Michigan. while the placings weren't that great, the memories were. I was lucky enough to fly there from Omaha and spend 4 days with my family before heading back.

showing cattle has taught me responsibility (those cows ate before i did everyday), dedication (9 years is a long time to still love doing what we do), and time management (feed, rinse, blow, eat, work, feed, rinse, blow, eat --- takes more time than one would think).

now after a good weekend with the family, i'm back in omaha expanding my knowledge and further developing my love for agriculture everyday.

peace&love




1 comment: